Saint Michael’s N.S. enrolled its first pupils in November, 1882 and became part of the National School system in January 1885. At this early stage the school was comprised of a two-roomed building with 34 girls and 43 boys on roll. Many of these pupils had never been to a national school before, having been educated at home or at private schools. Others came from The Model School or Saint Munchin’s School.
The school fees in 1885 were 6 shillings and this increased to 8 shillings the following year. Subjects taught were Reading, Writing, Spelling, Grammar, Geography, Book-keeping, Geometry and Mensuration. Girls attended Needlework Classes, while the boys were taught Agriculture.
The school was located on the present site at 11, Barrington Street and was extended in 1953, 1964 and 1968. Later in 1968, Villiers Primary School amalgamated with Saint Michael’s N.S. Numbers of pupils increased over several years, and by 1971, it was a five-teacher school. In 1976, it reverted to being a four-teacher school. The present classrooms were added in 1984, giving the school four classrooms, a resource room, a gymnasium/hall, library, staff room, office and storage rooms. The numbers have risen steadily during the last decade, and there have been five mainstream class teachers since September, 2008. Since 2000, the Department of Education & Skills (DES) has invested in teaching and ancillary staff for Special Educational Needs (SEN) and English as an Additional Language (EAL) pupils.
history of school for fun day